Tuesday 7 February 2012

Update: My previous post on changing the hostname is a FAILURE!

Hey guys,

I booted up my computer after doing the gksu update and there were quite a few errors. My advice: DON'T TRY IT, DRAGONS AHEAD! Instead, I've given up and conformed. Time to use sudo. So first you wanna do your average Ctrl-Alt-T keyboard shortcut (or launch your Terminal). After that, you can easily do a sudo command to change your systems name.

$ sudo gedit /etc/hostname
-A text file should pop up with the current name. Change it to the desired name and then click save. Close this text field, you're done with it.



$ sudo gedit /etc/hosts
-A text file should pop up with your computers current name on the second line. Change this as well to the SAME desired name and then click save.




Just to be safe, let's run a quick boot check and do a $ sudo reboot command for boredom. Everything should be in working order.

No comments:

Post a Comment