Monday 20 February 2012

I'd like a glass of Wine.

So, it was going to happen eventually. Wine. Oh yeah, I definitely like you. So here, let's have a toast and- wait a minute. You're a program? FML.

Anyway, I've decided to get Wine on my lappytop because a good fwiend of mine asked me to pway a game with her and I'm sort of a nice guy, so I told her about this complicated process and she said forget about it. But I say nay! If it were anyone else, I'd probably have said "nawh." As it stands, I'll be installing Wine.

First things first, open the Ubuntu Software Center and search for Wine. Install it. Simple as that. Now that it's on your system, we have the fun part to take care of. You know the drill, Ctrl+Alt+T. Once the terminal is open we have to do the initial setup. This is just the basic configuration.

$ winecfg

That's it. Click OK to close the window.

Now that it's all set (easy huh) you probably want to download and install some files.

So yeah, you've got a game downloaded. For the purpose of showing you the commands, let's pretend the game is the_sims_2_v4.5.exe. First you want to put the exe somewhere convenient, like the desktop. Now that it's in the desktop you need to change directory to desktop. That's done by using the CD command.

$ cd ~/Desktop

and it's mounted. Now you want to tell Wine to run the exe so you can play The Sims! You know you want to play The Sims. You can't help it, their life is better than yours! you want to tell wine to run the file name. In this case it's The Sims. So, it would look like this:

$ wine the_sims_2_v4.5.exe

Press enter and give it a minute to process, and the installer should be all set and ready to go. Pretty simple stuff. If you want to uninstall something using Wine, and I don't know why you'd want to break The Sims heart, you'll have to open the terminal up and run the command

$ wine uninstaller

and if the game requires a CD check, well, that's a whole notha bawl game. I'm not there yet, but when I am, I'll gladly walk you through it c:

Cheers,
Anthony M. Adorno

No comments:

Post a Comment