Sunday 5 February 2012

So I named it after a girl I liked ...

Hey unfortunate reader, how was your day?

Did you boot up Ubuntu and accidentally choose a really bad name for your PC? Name it after the girl you like that doesn't like you back? Did you name it something ridiculous like Woodja Blowme?

I thought you might have, so I got my PC here and I figured I'll show you how to remove that name and replace it with something more appropriate. First, pull up your terminal with Ctrl-Alt-T. Now you want to type

$ gksu gedit /etc/hostname

A text file popped up, huh? What's that? It only has your computers name? Change it now! While you've got the chance! Then click save. Now that we're all done here, close your terminal and then re-open it. it should say yourusername@yournewcomputername.

Now you won't be reminded of your stupid mishap every time you open the terminal. Thank goodness!

Cheers,
Anthony M. Adorno

No comments:

Post a Comment